- Gallery History -
Galerie Düsseldorf was established in 1976 by Directors Magda and Douglas Sheerer
and is Western Australia's longest established private art gallery,
representing contemporary artists and curating regular monthly changing exhibitions.
Initially started in 1976 as an international original print gallery in the ultra new Allendale Square Building
77 St Georges Terrace Perth. Within 4 years the gallery outgrew its small space.
Magda Sheerer outside Galerie Düsseldorf Allendale Square 1976
In 1980 the gallery was relocated to larger premises
taking advantage of 320 sq. metres on the first floor of a Victorian Building (The Butterworth Building 1900)
at 890 Hay St Perth City near His Majesty's Theatre.
Galerie Düsseldorf, 1st Floor, 890 Hay St Perth City near His Majesty's Theatre (Howard Taylor exhibitioin 1988)
1994 - 1995
The Gallery moved from Hay St in 1994 to prepare for the new building project,
leasing a temporary space in Mosman Park whilst the new building was constructed.
The new building was opened in February 1995 with a Howard Taylor exhibition.
Magda + Douglas Sheerer
This new space provides a neutral environment and that sense of detachment necessary to contemplate exhibited works
Although the main emphasis of the gallery is to promote
the work of living West Australian artists the gallery will continue to curate and present exhibitions of Australia
wide origin in order to further encourage and stimulate dialogue.